Buoyant Starts, Baca’s collaboration with Floating Homes Ltd, has been selected as one of the ten winning ideas in the NLA international ideas competition New Ideas for Housing. The competition aims to help solve the London housing shortage and the ten winning ideas will be presented to the Greater London Authority who will study their feasibility as options for the future of the London housing market.
Buoyant Starts addresses the housing crisis in Greater London by providing high-quality prefabricated floating homes, at an affordable price, on the unused water space of the capital. There are approximately 50 linear miles of rivers and canals forming the waterways network of the Greater London area, and an additional 150 hectares of developable waterspace in the city’s docks, marinas, and basins.
An exhibition of all 100 shortlisted entries to the competition will be on display in the NLA Galleries at The Building Centre from 15 October to 17 December, supported by a three month programme of talks, conferences and tours.
- Big announcement coming soon
- 104 Bedroom hotel in South Yorkshire
- Baca’s retrospective in Dezeen
- RIBA President’s Awards for Research – Publication
- New Role for Baca Director at N° 10
- Dover Waterfront Masterplan Win
- Tyram Lakes Hotel, Spa and Resort
- Flood Resilient Housing for Stratford-upon-Avon
- Baca Architects shortlisted for the 2016 British Homes Awards’ flood-resistant house contest
- Q&A with Richard Coutts
Trendsamphibious architecture award Baca blue infrastructure blue water thinking brick awards buildings built built environment Climate Adaptation Climate Change collaboration communal competition consultation courtyard design draw draw my dream home draw your dream home Dutch ecology elevated engineering estuary European Event exhibition floating flood flood-resilient Flood-risk Flooding future government grand designs green roof green sky thinking green walls house infrastructure Innovative international Landscape lecture lectures LifE Project liverpool London luxury masterplan Master planning mews mixed-use modelling News openhouse planning project regulations research resilient RIBA River safe haven Seminar sketch solar orientation Super-sewer sustainable drainage talk Thames tower water
- This weekend. Festival :: Archikids. Inspire the next generation of designers ! .@RIBAEducation .@RIBAEducation archikids.org.uk/festival/ 4 days ago
- School Holidays are nearly here. Try House of Illustration gallery at King’s Cross for activities galore kingscross.co.uk/house-of-illus… 4 days ago
- Moment river refills after downpour - BBC News bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-eng… 5 days ago
- Congratulations! Yorkshire Sculpture park marks 40th anniversary google.co.uk/amp/www.bbc.co… 1 week ago
- Unesco awards Lake District World Heritage site status - BBC News bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan… 2 weeks ago